Print Friendly Recipe
- Delectible with fried seafood or chicken, pork, hams, or sausages. Crisp outside, tender flavor inside!
- S. Chokel
- 1-1/4 lbs (.6 kg). cornn meal (freshly milled is outstanding)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) flour
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar
- 1-1/4 tsp (6 ml) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) finely chopped onion
- 1 egg, jumbo, barely beaten
- 1-1/2 cc. whole milk (the popular 2% is okay, whole is better)
- cooking oil or fat to fry them in (I use Peanut Oil, it's your choice, some say lard is the best.)
- In a large deep mixing bowl mix all dry ingredients thoroughly.
- Add onions and lightly toss into dry ingredients.
- Stir in egg and milk (Mixture should be stiff enough to drip from tbsp in a solid mass).
- Chill for at least 1/2 hour.
- Scoop the dough into balls in tbsp amounts and drop from the spoon into moderately hot cooking oil or fatabout 3 to 4 inches deep.
- When the hushpuppies are nut brown, remove from hot oil or fat and drain.
- This is a recipe that was given to me when I was a new bride. We rarely eat them anymore.. too clogging to the arteries. They are especially delicious with fried cod or catfish.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.