Chilled Tomato Soup with Basil
- Le Chardonnay, Los Angeles, California
- 10 large ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 onion
- 1 carrot
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) olive oil
- 20 basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- salt, white ground pepper, and pinch of cayenne
- Cut onion and carrot into cubes.
- Crush garlic.
- Cut tomatoes into 4 sections.
- Warm olive oil and add onion, carrot, and crushed garlic. Cook for a short time on low heat.
- Add tomatoes and 2 cups (475 ml) of water, and salt to taste.
- Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Put into a processor, then strain entire mixture.
- Add white pepper and cayenne.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- To serve, top with julienne strips of basil.