Penn Cove Mussels in Spicy Black Bean-Peanut Sauce
- Ray's Boathouse, Seattle, Washington
- 2 lbs (.9 kg) Penn Cove mussels, washed and debearded
- 2 cups (475 ml) dry white wine
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chinese fermented black beans
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tsp (10 ml) minced garlic
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 tsp (5 ml) chili paste with garlic (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) peanut butter
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter
- 1 tomato, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, stems removed, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) roasted peanuts
- Place mussels in a very large saute pan. Cover with white wine and sprinkle with black beans, ginger, garlic, and orange zest. Reserve some zest for garnish.
- Cover tightly and cook over high heat until mussels open.
- Remove mussels from pan and arrange in a serving dish, and keep warm.
- Bring liquid in the pan to a boil, add chile paste, peanut butter, and butter. Boil until slightly thickened.
- Add tomato, cilantro, and peanuts, and boil for 30 seconds longer.
- Pour sauce over mussels.
- Garnish with extra orange zest.