Beet Soup with Goat Cheese and Sage
- Rover's Restaurant, Seattle, Washington
- 4 medium beets
- 2 cups (475 ml) vegetable stock
- 4 chopped shallots
- 5 sprigs of sage
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) soft goat cheese
- 2 chopped shallots
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper
- Boil beets in salted water until tender (about 2 hours).
- Peel beets while still warm and put in a blender.
- Add warm stock, shallots, and sage and blend until smooth.
- Strain through a sieve and keep warm.
- Mix goat cheese with shallots and garlic, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Form cheese mixture into quenelle shapes.
- In soup plates, center a quenelle and ladle soup gently around it.
- Garnish with a julienne of sage.