Red Bell Pepper Flan with Green Lentils
- Rovers Restaurant, Seattle, Washington
- 3 red bell peppers
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) cream
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 rosemary sprig, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) lentils
- 1 cup (225 ml) vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 2 bunches rosemary, chopped
- 6 shallots, sliced
- 1 cup (225 ml) white wine
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) heavy cream
- 6 oz (168 grm) butter, cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees (150 C.).
- Over open flame, roast bell peppers until skin is charred black. Peel off the skin and remove the seeds, and puree in blender.
- Mix 1/2 cup (125 ml) of puree with eggs, and add cream.
- Butter 4 souffle molds, place molds in baking pan, pour bell pepper appareil into souflle molds and fill a baking pan with hot water to reach halfway up the molds.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake in oven about 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add shallot, garlic, and rosemary, and sweat for 2 minutes.
- Add lentils and stock.
- Bring to a boil and cook until lentils are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Heat butter in skillet, sweat the shallots and rosemary about a minute.
- Add white wine and reduce by 3/4.
- Add cream, reduce again by 3/4.
- Incorporate butter slowly with a whisk, one cube at a time.
- Strain sauce.
- Arrange lentils on one end of a plate in a circle.
- Unmold souffle underneath lentils and spoon sauce around souffle.
- Serve hot.