- Dickens Inn, Philadelphia, PA
- 5 lbs (2.3 kg). ground beef
- 1 medium onion, small diced
- 1 large carrot, small diced
- 1 stalk celery, small diced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) Guinness Stout
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) veal stock
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). dry thyme
- 2 oz (56 grm). flour
- 2 oz (56 grm). butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- mashed potatoes
- Saute vegetables until softened.
- Add ground beef and cook until browned.
- Add liquid and herbs.
- Make a roux with the flour and butter, and add to thicken.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, until thickened.
- Season to taste.
- Fill baking dishes with meat.
- Pipe or spread mashed potatoes on top.
- Bake at 400 degrees (200 C.) until potatoes are golden brown.