Serves/Makes:4 dozen approx.
- 2 cups (475 ml) coconut
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) butter
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) coconut
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cream
- 4 dozen pecan halves
- Combine all ingredients except for the last portion of coconut, egg yolk, cream, and pecan halves.
- Shape into logs.
- Roll each log in coconut to coat.
- Freeze the logs.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Cut frozen logs into 1/4" slices.
- Brush each with mixed egg yolk and cream.
- Press a pecan half into the cookie.
- Bake approximately 15 minutes until golden brown at edges.
- Cookie dough can be made, rolled in coconut, wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen way ahead of Christmas. That way you can have fresh baked cookies anytime in about a half an hour.
Leave off the pecan halves if you're out or just not into nuts and these cookies are just as good!