Serves/Makes:4 dozen approx
- 1 cup (225 ml) shortening or margarine
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2-3/4 cups (650 ml) flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cream of tartar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- sugar and cinnamon
- Mix thoroughly shortening, sugar, and eggs.
- Sift flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt, and stir in.
- Roll cookie dough into balls the size of small walnuts.
- Roll each ball in mixture of 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar and 2 tsp (10 ml) cinnamon.
- Place each ball about 2 inches apart on a ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees (200 C.) until lightly browned but still soft (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- Note: may be made as bar cookies and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.