- Pen & Pencil, New York, New York
- 6 oz (168 grm). dried kidney beans
- 6 oz (168 grm). dried Great Northern beans
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). aged and trimmed buffalo shell steak, diced to 1/4" cubes
- 2 medium spanish onions, finely diced
- 2 oz (56 grm). bacon drippings
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chipotle
- 1/2 tbsp (7 ml) cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chili powder
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) jalapeno pepper (depending on strength)
- 2 quarts (1900 ml) buffalo stock
- Soak beans overnight in water, then discard the water.
- Add enough buffalo stock to competely cover.
- Cook several hours until slightly short of "al Dente". Add more stock if needed to keep beans covered.
- In a very large, very heavy, non-reactive saute pan, saute the buffalo, onions, and garlic in the bacon drippings, until the meat is browned (about 5 minutes).
- Drain the grease.
- Add about 2 cups (475 ml) of buffalo stock, and reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Add beans, chipotle, cumin, chili powder, and some salt, and stir well.
- After about 45 minutes, add the jalapeno peppers until the desired degree of intensity is achieved (do your ears turn red?).
- Note that the "intensity" will increase slightly as you continue to simmer for another 15 minutes to incorporate the intensity throughout the range where the buffalo roam.