Supreme de Volaille aux Crevettes
- La Bonne Auberge, San Mateo, California
- 4 boneless and skinned chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) finely chopped shallots
- 2 cups (475 ml) sliced mushrooms
- 8 large, shelled and deveined prawns
- 2 tsp (10 ml) chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped Italian parsley or chervil
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) dry white wine
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) heavy cream
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon juice
- salt, white pepper, and nutmeg to taste
- cooked rice or potatoes
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- In a large non-stick pan, melt butter. Add shallots, mushrooms, thyme, and chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle parsley or chervil and nutmeg over chicken.
- Add wine and lemon juice and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a serving dish and keep warm.
- Add prawns to broth and cook for one or two minutes.
- Arrange prawns decoratively over chicken breasts and keep warm.
- Add cream to stock, let it reduce for two or three minutes.
- Pour sauce over chicken and prawns and sprinkle with parsley or chervil.
- Serve with rice, or boiled or mashed potatoes.
- For a lighter dish:
- Replace butter with 2 tbsp (30 ml) unsaturated oil, and the cream by 1/2 cup (125 ml) chicken or vegetable broth. Mix 1 tsp (5 ml) cornstarch with 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the broth, and add to the reduced broth while stirring.
- Provided by Chef Philippe, who thoughtfully
includes suggestions for a lighter version.