Sicilian Rice Ball (Arancini)
- 1 cup (225 ml) Arborio rice
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Romano cheese, grated
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) fresh parsley, finely minced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) tomato sauce (homemade if you have it)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) prosciutto (ham), diced
- 2 cups (475 ml) fresh bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- peanut oil for deep frying
- Bring 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) water to boil, in a saucepan, and add rice. Cook 15 minutes, drain and transfer to a bowl.
- Beat one egg and add to rice, along with Romano cheese, parsley 2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Mix well and chill in refrigerator 15 minutes.
- In another bowl mix mozzarella, prosciutto and remaining tomato sauce.
- Flour hands and divide rice into 8 portions and roll into a ball about the size of a small orange.
- Poke a hole in the ball with your finger and put about 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml) of the mozzarella mixture into the hole.
- Reshape and smooth rice ball to close hole.
- Beat remaining eggs in a shallow bowl and spread bread crumbs out on a plate.
- Roll rice ball in egg, coating well, then in bread crumbs and coat evenly. Let sit for 45 minutes.
- In a heavy pan, or deep fryer, heat oil to 375 degrees (200 C.). Fry rice balls until golden. Drain on paper towel and serve hot.