- La Bonne Auberge Restaurant, San Mateo, California
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vanilla
- 1 quart (950 ml) whipping cream
- Heat cream in saucepan on low heat until tiny bubbles form around the edges.
- In large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Add vanilla.
- Gradually add cream to egg and sugar mixture while mixing.
- Pour into eight 4 oz (112 grm) custard dishes.
- Place in a pan with warm water (bain-marie).
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 45 minutes.
- Chill. Can be prepared ahead of time up to this point.
- Just before serving, sprinkle top with 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar and bake for 5 to 10 minutes more or until golden brown in color.
- Chill and serve.
- Note: do not keep too long in the refrigerator once you have glazed with sugar, as the sugar will melt. It is better to keep it at room temperature in that case.
- A rich, chilled custard of cream and eggs crowned
with a glaze of delicately browned sugar.
This recipe is provided by Chef Philippe.