- Germaine's Restaurant, Washington, DC
Serves/Makes:2 or more
- 2 tsp (10 ml) oyster sauce
- 2 tsp (10 ml) light soy sauce
- 2 tsp (10 ml) fish sauce (nam pla)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) garlic chili sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) minced jalapeno chili
- 1 tsp (5 ml) minced garlic
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 3/4 lb (.3 kg) beef flank steak, cut into thin diagonal slices
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) canned low salt chicken broth
- 40 fresh basil leaves, left whole
- freshly cooked white rice
- Mix first seven ingredients in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in wok or large, heavy skillet over high heat.
- Add beef and stir fry until medium-rare, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Pour off all but 1 tbsp (15 ml) of oil from wok or skillet.
- Add sauce mixture and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken broth and boil until sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Return beef to sauce in wok or skillet.
- Add basil leaves and cook just until the beef is cooked through, about 1 minute.
- Serve over rice.