Calamari Ha Long Bay-Style
- Germaine's Restaurant, Washington, DC
- 1 lb (.5 kg) cleaned calamari (1 lb (.5 kg) shrimp, scallops, or seafood mixture may be substituted)
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sliced onion
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sliced, blanched carrots
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sliced Italian celery (or 4 stalks of tender regular celery)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sliced leek, white part only
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fish sauce (nuoc mam)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chicken broth
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Thai chili sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) chili and garlic sauce
- To clean calamari, open lengthwise and wash with water.
- Score inside lightly, then cut each one into four pieces and place in a bowl.
- Heat wok or stir-fry pan over high heat.
- Add oil, garlic, onion, and calamari. Stir-fry quickly for about 1 minute. Don't overcook!
- Add remaining vegetables, soy sauce, fish sauce, and chicken broth. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in chili sauce.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.