- Basic Crust:
- 3 cups (700 ml) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) margarine
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Crisco
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml). distilled white vinegar
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml). ice water
- Pork Pie Filling:
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). coarsley ground pork
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). ground sage
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml). Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Mix all the ingredients for the filling together and place in an 8 inch deep dish pie pan.
- Bake, covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour off excess fat.
- Cover with the crust, return to oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until crust is golden and flaky.
- Pie Crust:
- In a medium bowl combine flour and salt.
- Cut in shortenings until mixture is like coarse cornmeal.
- Mix the eggs and vinegar together and, using a wooden spoon, stir into flour.
- Add enough of the ice water so the dough just barely comes together.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead so dough holds together and can be rolled out.
- This recipe will make enough dough for one 9 inch pie, top and bottom crust.
- I don't remember where it came from but this
makes a really good refrigerator raider snack,
lunch meal or dinner.