Serves/Makes:5 dozen cakes
- 7 cups (1650 ml) all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). lard
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). margarine
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) currants
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
- Blend flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Cut in lard and margarine until mixture is grainy.
- Stir in sugar, nutmeg and currants.
- Beat the eggs and blend in with milk.
- Mix liquids into dry ingredients and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter cut into rounds.
- Fry on an electric griddle set at 325 to 350 degrees (175 C.) until golden brown then turn only once to brown other side.
- I don't recall where I got this recipe from, but
in Wales these sweet fried biscuits are called