- 8 oz (224 grm). Cheshire or chedder cheese
- 6 oz (168 grm). pale ale
- 1 tsp (5 ml) mustard
- pepper, to taste
- 4 slices white bread
- Cut cheese into thin slices.
- Add cheese, ale, mustard, and pepper to a saucepan, and heat very gently, stirring constantly, until the mixture is smooth.
- Toast the bread with butter.
- Pour the melted cheese mixture over the toast, trying to avoid spill over.
- Broil the toasts until brown, about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Serve while hot.
- This British specialty is an exotic version of
the "cheesers" we all made when we first got a