Stuffed Squabs with Cabbage
- Gerard's Relais de Lyon, Seattle, Washington
- 2 10 oz (280 grm). squabs
- 1 savoy cabbage
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) diced pancetta
- 2 cups (475 ml) chicken stock
- 4 tbsp (60 ml). foie gras (optional)
- 4 slices black truffles (optional)
- 1 cup (225 ml) diced onions
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- salt and pepper, to taste
- egg wash
- Saute pancetta in butter until crisp.
- Throw in diced onion and cook until golden brown.
- Pour in chicken stock.
- Shred cabbage and blanch in boiling salted water. Strain and add to the pancetta, onion and stock.
- Season, cover, and cook slowly until the cabbage is cooked. Strain and cool.
- Debone and skin the breasts and legs of the squabs leaving only the drum bone in the legs.
- Cut the puff pastry in 4 inch by 5 inch rectangles.
- On each sheet, place seasoned breast.
- Top with a large spoon of cabbage, then the foie gras and a slice of truffle, then the legs.
- Wrap the whole thing in the dough with the drum bone sticking out, and shape like a pear.
- Brush the pastry with an egg wash, then place on a buttered sheet pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees (200 C.) for 15 to 20 minutes.
- A gorgeous entree that positions squab, cabbage,
foie gras, and the black truffle inside a puff