- Hob Nob Hill, San Diego, California
- block cut beef short ribs, cut 2 inches thick
- Salt and pepper
- Beef stock
- Braise ribs in 375 degree (200 C.) oven, seasoned with chopped, unpeeled unions, garlic, course ground black pepper, and a touch of salt, until well browned. Ingredient quantities are flexible and to taste. Chef Hank says of the onion and garlic, "the more, the better."
- Remove ribs from oven pan into another pot.
- Strain out the onion and garlic and discard.
- Make a roux with the flour and rib drippings in the pan.
- Add beef stock and stir until smooth.
- Check seasoning, adding beef base and gravy color if desired.
- Return ribs to the pan, cover, and roast at 350 degrees (175 C.) until tender, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Strain gravy before serving.
- From Chef Hank at one of San Diego's landmark