Snail & Morel Mushroom Strudel with Goat Cheese
- New Market Caterers, Chicago, IL
- 24 escargot, cleaned
- 24 medium sized morel mushroom caps
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, small dice
- 2 oz (56 grm) olive oil, virgin or pommace
- 4 oz (112 grm) pinot noir
- 8 sheets phyllo dough (at least 24 inches x 12 inches)
- 8 oz (224 grm) goat cheese (recommend Laura Chenel's)
- 8 oz (224 grm) water at room temperature
- 8 oz (224 grm) butter, melted
- Clean morels by slicing them in half lengthwise and soaking them briefly in warm, salted water (to remove maggots).
- Saute onions in olive oil until translucent.
- Add garlic and saute until lightly brown - very lightly brown.
- Add morels and sweat briefly.
- Add snails and toss all until thoroughly combined.
- Add wine and reduce au sec (until nearly dry).
- Spread mixture out on a sheet tray and cool.
- Pour melted butter into an atomizer or spray bottle.
- Dampen a clean cloth with warm water.
- Place one sheet of phyllo on a dry surface. Keep the rest of the phyllo covered with damp cloth.
- Spray with melted butter.
- Place a second sheet of phyllo on top of first spray, repeating until 4 sheets have been treated.
- Spread the morel mixture out lengthwise on phyllo sheets to form a tube-like cylinder that runs the length of the phyllo.
- Roll the phyllo dough up so as to form a cylinder. Brush phyllo tube with remaining butter. Slice into 6 equal size portions.
- Repeat for another 4 sheets.
- Mix water and goat cheese in either a food processor or a bar blender until smooth.
- Cover plate with goat cheese mixture.
- Bake strudels at 425 degrees (225 C.) until browned.
- Stack three pieces of strudel on top of each other over goat cheese sauce.
- Garnish with herbs du provence, tomato concasse, and chive.