- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). salt pork
- 1 lb (.5 kg). Cajun smoked sausage (or andouille sausage)
- 2 quarts (1900 ml) water
- 3 cups (700 ml) onion, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 cup (225 ml) bell pepper, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 T salt
- 1 t black pepper, or less
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce, or less
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). can tomato sauce
- 1 t red pepper, or less
- 1/4 t oregano
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 t thyme leaf
- 1 lb (.5 kg). red beans, soaked
- rice, boiled or steamed
- Cook beans and salt pork in salted water slowly for 45 minutes.
- Add vegetables, seasonings and tomato sauce.
- Cook slowly for another hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add sausage and cook 45 minutes more.
- Cook, reheat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Serve over boiled or steamed rice.
- Less pepper may be used for tender palates.
- This is a numerously tested recipe. It is one of
the only ways I can get my family to eat beans of