Wow-Wee! Kate's Garlic chicken
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). chicken tenders
- 3 T cornstarch
- 1 julianne red pepper
- 3 julianne carrots
- 6 scallions sliced on diagonal
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) minced garlic
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) minced ginger
- 1T cracked black pepper
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). shitake mushrooms (fresh) or a big handful of dry ones (if using dry, soak 15 minutes)
- 3 T sesame oil
- 4 T chili-garlic paste (i like "lee kum kee")
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) soy sauce
- 1 cup (225 ml) chicken broth
- 2 T rice vinegar
- Marinate the chicken for 1 hour in 1/2 the corn starch, a bit of sesame oil, some of the chopped garlic and ginger, a little bit of soy sauce.
- Fry chicken over high heat in large pan - be sure to brown it. Remove chicken when done.
- Add a bit more oil and saute garlic and ginger until fragrant.
- Add veggies and mushrooms, cook 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add rest of ingredient except cornstarch, cook 1 minute longer.
- Put chicken back in the pan. If the sauce is not thick enough for you, make a slurry with cornstarch and cold water and add to pan.
- Bring it to a boil. Serve at once over steamed rice or noodles.