- 4 med. baking potatoes - peeled
- 1 med onion-grated
- 1 large egg
- a few tbsp of flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- white pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking powder
- pinch nutmeg
- butter for frying (or oil if you want but not nearly as good)
- Grate potatoes and drain in a sieve.
- Combine onion and potato in a bowl. Add baking powder, egg, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Mix.
- Add just enough flour to make a mix thick enough to hold it's shape.
- Heat butter in a large pan over medium heat. Fry spoonfuls of batter until brown on each side. Don't crowd them.
- Drain on papper towels.
- (This recipe is really good with sweet potatoes, too. In that case, add 1 tbsp (15 ml) of fresh thyme)
- I actually don't know how Irish this recipe is
but it sure is tasty....