Natalie's Vienna Surprise
- Natalie Launer, Qeensland Australia
- 3 pieces of chicken breast fillet
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 1 14 oz (392 grm) can Italian tomatoes or tomato puree
- 2 cups (475 ml) of uncooked rice
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) italian herbs (can use pinch of following instead of Italian herbs: marjoram, basil leaves, red bell peeper powder, rosemary leaves, oregano, parsley, thyme and garlic flakes)
- 1 clove garlic
- pinch of cumin and corriander (optional)
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 large vienna loaf
- In a skillet lightly brown onion and garlic in oil.
- Add chicken pieces, tomatoes (or puree), salt, herbs and pepper.
- Cook on medium heat until chicken is tender, you will find that the sauce will thicken - add a little water to prevent this.
- Once chicken is cooked, simmer 20 minutes (or longer for fuller flavor).
- Boil or steam rice. Once cooked set aside.
- Cut top end of vienna off and pull out bread inside. This will make a hollow loaf. You can use the inside for breadcrumbs.
- Cool chicken and rice.
- Cut chicken into small pieces or mince it.
- Mix chicken and rice together and spoon inside vienna.
- Put end piece on bread, wrap in foil and bake for approximately 30 minutes on medium heat; this will make crust crunchy.
- Cut into slice with large bread knife and serve with salad.
- This recipe stemmed from cooking on a budget and
entertaining many people. It's a tasty meal,
great for Sunday lunches or laid back evening