- 1 cup (225 ml) raisins
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) solid white shortening
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) nutmeg
- 1 egg
- Cook raisins, water and solid shortening for 5 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Place in large bowl, then add flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cloves, nutmeg and egg. Blend well.
- Spread in greased 9 inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 35-40 minutes.
- Frost with favorite white frosting.
- I believe this was clipped out of the Boston
Globe several years ago, and it has since become
one of our family's favorites. Hope you enjoy!