- 1 cup (225 ml) cornmeal
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- Oil for frying
- 4 firm green tomatoes, sliced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a shallow bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour and sugar.
- Dredge both sides of the tomatoes in mixture.
- Press slices firmly into the corn meal mixture to make a good coating.
- Add 1/4"" of oil to skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- Fry tomatoes about 2 minutes on each side.
- When golden brown drain on paper towels.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
- This is my favorite version, I usually add a
little more sugar than it calls for, though. I
like to think of it as a NC dish, since that's my
home and I love our Southern dishes!