Carol's Shortbread Cookies
- Carol Rogers
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) white sugar
- 1 lb (.5 kg) butter
- 4 cups (950 ml) flour
- pinch of salt
- Cream together sugar, butter, and salt until fluffy.
- Add flour a little at a time; mixing well.
- Dough will form a soft ball.
- Now you have to choose:
- Form into a log; wrap in buttered foil; and refrigerate. Slice and bake later.
- Or, roll out on lightly floured surface; use your favorite cookie cutter; and bake.
- Or, put into your cookie press; place shapes onto the cookie sheet; and bake.
- To bake:
- Decorate with colored sugar or sprinkles, if you want.
- Bake at 325 degrees (175 C.) for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cookies are done when they are a light tan color.
- Store cookies in an air tight container.
- If I can only make one type of cookie this is the
one that every one wants at Christmas. It is a
great cookie dough to work with: roll out like
sugar cookies; put in a cookie press (super
shooter); or roll in buttered foil and
refigerate, it can then be sliced and baked when
needed. You may use food coloring to tint them
for a special event. They are good plain or
decorate with colored sugar or sprinkles. They
also taste great dusted with powdered sugar.
When making this recipe use half butter
(unsalted) and half crisco. It can be made with
all brown or white sugar, but I wouldn't use all