Prawns with mushroom-olive ragout
- Matt, Katherine's boyfriend, from the Lord Fox, Ann Arbor MI
- 1 pound prawns
- 1 pound pasta
- olive oil for sauteing
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) ground garlic
- 2 cups (475 ml) red wine
- 1 medium spanish onion, diced
- 6 cups (1425 ml) chopped canned tomatoes
- 1 T red pepper flakes
- 2 T basil, dried
- 2 T oregano, dried
- 2 T thyme, dried
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) green olives, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Saute onion in olive oil until translucent.
- Add 1/4 cup (60 ml) garlic, sautee one minute more.
- Add tomato, wine, pepper flakes, basil, oregano, thyme, mushrooms, and olives.
- Let simmer 30 minutes, or until a chunky sauce is achieved.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to instructions on box.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup (60 ml) of garlic to sauce.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Sautee prawns in olive oil until just cooked.
- Place pasta on plate.
- Ladle sauce on pasta.
- Arrange prawns on sauce.