- Baked ham
- Ruth A. Burbage
- 8 lbs (3.6 kg). shank half, smoked ham
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). whole cloves
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) plus 2 tbsp (30 ml). port wine, divided
- 1 cup (225 ml) packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). Dijon mustard
- Score ham in diamond pattern and stud with cloves.
- Place ham on rack in large roasting pan, pour 3/4 cup (175 ml) port over ham.
- Bake 2 to 3 hours, at 350 degrees (175 C.), or until meat reaches 140 degrees (60 C.) on meat thermometer, basting occasionally with port.
- In small bowl, combine sugar, mustard and 2 tbsp (30 ml). port; set aside.
- Remove ham from oven.
- Increase temperature to 425 degrees (225 C.).
- Brush sugar glaze on ham.
- Return to oven and bake 15 minutes or till nicely browned.
- Let stand 20 minutes before carving.
- I no longer remember where I got this recipe, but
I never bake a ham anymore without doing it this
way. The sauce, after defatting, makes a great
dip for chicken fingers, etc.