- 5 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk
- 1 cup (225 ml) water
- 1 tsp (5 ml). salt
- flour (Enough to make stiff dough -- don't have exact measure)
- Swiss Cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil (add a little salt and a tbsp of oil to the water.)
- Crack each egg and lightly beat.
- Add one cup milk and beat into eggs.
- Add one cup water and beat into egg/milk mixture.
- Add one tsp salt.
- Add flour until mixture is thicker than pancake mix but not a stiff dough.
- When water boils, pour dough into a food mill with large holes (I got my food mill from Switzerland, but I think they sell them in specialty shops.)
- Turn handle of food mill letting the dough drop into the water.
- When the knopfli floats to the surface remove with slotted spoon.
- Grate Swiss cheese and sprinkle over the knopfli.
- Repeat steps until all dough has been used.
- Swiss recipe - Obtained the recipe from my mother
who was born and raised in Switzerland. We often
ate Knopfli instead of potatoes, pasta or rice.
On a trip to Switzerland several years ago I
requested that she pick up a knopfli food mill
since I could not locate one in any of the stores
in my area.