Creamy Chili-Cheese Casserole
- 1 lb (.5 kg). sausage
- 1 quart (950 ml) size can tomato juice or sauce (biggest can on shelf!)
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can spicy chili beans
- 2 cloves freshly minced garlic
- 1 small can tomato paste (the littlest can on the shelf!)
- 8 oz (224 grm). egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 cup (225 ml) sour cream
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) chili powder
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) freshly ground rosemary or powdered rosemary
- Boil noodles.
- Drain and set aside.
- Brown sausage with onion and pepper.
- When half done, add 1/4 tsp (1 ml). salt, some pepper, rosemary, chili powder, and red pepper.
- Finish cooking thoroughly and drain.
- Put meat mixture in big pot.
- Add tomato juice.
- Add both cans beans, draining juice first.
- Add cooked egg noodles.
- Cook until chili is barely boiling.
- Add tomato paste.
- Stir till heated through.
- Simmer slowly, uncovered, about 30 minutes on medium/low heat.
- Add sour cream.
- Add cheese.
- Stir occasionally as you heat through one again.
- I am a college student at Southwest Missouri
State University. Living on a budget whose
grocery allowance would't feed a mouse has made
it quite a challenge for me to come up with
healthy meals that taste good and use few or
cheap ingredients. This chili casserole uses
noodles to make it 'go farther', and cheese
because we all love chili-mac! The sour cream
was the result of a moment of inspiration, and
the basic chili is cheap and filling and good.
Let me know if you enjoy it by e-mailing me.
Recipes are my 'hobby' and there are more where
this came from :)!