- 2 lbs (.9 kg). lamb, cut in large cubes, cleaned of all fat and silverskin
- 4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup (225 ml) red wine
- 1 orange, cut in half
- 1 large eggplant, cubed
- 1 tsp (5 ml) oregano
- a few good grinds of black pepper
- 1 quart (950 ml) of beef stock
- 1 yellow onion, chopped coarse
- 1 cup (225 ml) black figs, chopped
- 1/2 head (or less if you chicken out!) garlic
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter or olive oil
- salt, to taste
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot.
- Brown the lamb throughly on all sides.
- Add the rest of ingredients and simmer, covered, for 3 hours.
- Remove the orange halves and bay leaves.
- Serve with bulgar pilaf and salad.
- My Armenian great aunt got me hooked on this
dish ... (you will be too!)