Shmolts Blackened Rainbow trout
- Bob Isherwood (Pennsyvania Culinary student)
- 1 fillet of rainbow trout
- 2 cups (475 ml) oil (any kind will do) - more or less to coat or cover the fish.
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) salt
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) pepper
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) Paul Prudhomme's seafood magic (optional) (Another herb or spice such as dill or tarragon works well)
- 1 Tsp (5 ml) minced garlic
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix oil, salt, pepper, herb or spice, garlic and lemon juice to make marinade.
- Put the trout in the marinade. Let sit at least 1 hour (1 day recommended).
- Season fillet with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Cook fillet in a very hot iron skillet, skin side down first.
- When skin side is at desired color flip it over.
- When second side is done, finish the fillet in oven with desired amount of butter.
- Serve by squeezing lemon over it and sprinkling a small amount of fresh herbs.