Spicy Lemon and Olive Chicken
- a. moritz
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) each ginger, tumeric, paprika, cayenne, salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped garlic
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) chicken broth
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cumin
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) each black, green olives, thin sliced (hint: I prefer to use green olives with pimentos)
- 1 medium to large onion, thinly sliced
- Rinse chicken well.
- In small bowl mix together ginger, tumeric, paprika, salt, and cayenne.
- Rub these ingredients into each piece of chicken.
- Heat olive oil in deep frying pan and add garlic.
- Saute until garlic is almost transparent
- Brown chicken on both sides about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove chicken and drain on a paper towel.
- Drain all but 2 tbsp (30 ml) of oil from the pan.
- Add onion and cumin, and saute over medium heat.
- Mix together broth and tomato paste, and add to frying pan.
- Cook paste mix and onions together for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken back into pan.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan onto plate.
- Add olives and lemon to pan cook for about 5 additional minutes.
- Spoon tomato mix over chicken and serve.
- This recipe is from a Moroccan friend of mine.
When I listed that it serves 4 that is rare.
Family and friends that have tried this often;
count on 2 servings per person. It is that
good, and not as hot tasting as it sounds.