- 4 cube steaks
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml). pepper
- 1 cup (225 ml) flour
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) oil
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk
- hot cooked mashed potatoes
- Season meat with 1/4 tsp (1 ml). salt and pepper.
- Mix flour with 1 tsp (5 ml). pepper in shallow pan.
- Dredge meat in flour, then egg, and then in flour.
- Heat oil in skillet on medium-high heat.
- Fry meat 4 to 5 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Pour off all but 2 tbsp (30 ml). oil from pan.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp (30 ml) dredging flour in hot oil in pan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat 1 minute.
- Stir in milk slowly and simmer 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tsp (2 ml). pepper and 1/4 tsp (1 ml). salt.
- Gravy should be quite peppery.
- Serve gravy over chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes.
- This is the only recipe for chicken fried steak
that the flour coating does not come off when
frying, and I have tried a lot of recipes!