Southern Chicken Fried Steak
- Melissa Payton
- 6 or more pieces tenderized beef steak
- ice water to cover
- vegetable oil or shortening
- Place steak pieces in ice water. Let stand at least 30 minutes or more.
- Take out steaks, but do not drain.
- Salt and pepper.
- Coat generously with flour.
- Fry in hot oil or shortening at medium high heat till golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with gravy made from pan drippings, flour and milk.
- When my grandmother was in her twenties, she
worked in a restaurant that was owned by a family
member. The chicken fried steak was always great
and everyone always asked for the recipe. It
really sounds too easy to be true. The crust is
thick and crunchy - just the way everyone in West
Texas wants it. The restaurant, I believe, was
in or around Turkey, Texas.