Bacon, Tomato, Rice Casserole
- Sharon Thomas
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). thick sliced bacon, cooked crisp; crumbled
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) onion, chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup (225 ml) water
- 1 cup (225 ml) minute rice
- 1 can rotel tomatoes, diced
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) grated cheddar cheese, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onion and bell pepper in 1 tbsp (15 ml) bacon drippings.
- Add rice, rotel tomatoes, water, bacon, salt, pepper, and 1 cup (225 ml) cheese.
- Place in greased casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 40 minutes.
- Top with 1/2 cup (125 ml) grated cheese and return to oven.
- Bake for additional 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Arkansas is rice country. This recipe is a compilation of three recipes that
I found interesting. I picked out the best ingredients of all three and
combined them to make this dish, which is very tasty.