Susan's Amaretto Bread Pudding
- 1 lb (.5 kg) firm bread
- 1 qt half & half
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) almond extract
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) golden raisins
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sliced almonds
- Amaretto sauce
- 1 cup (225 ml) powdered sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 egg well beaten
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Amaretto liqueur
- Break bread in 1 inch pieces.
- Combine bread with half & half in large bowl.
- Cover and let stand 1 hour, stirring occasionaly.
- Grease 9 x 13 inch baking dish with butter.
- Whisk together sugar, eggs and almond extract.
- Stir into bread and half & half mixture
- Gently blend in raisins and almonds.
- Spoon into baking dish.
- Bake in 325 degree (175 C.) F. oven for 50 minutes or until firm.
- Let cool
- Stir sugar and butter in top of double boiler over simmering water until butter melts, sugar dissolves and mixture is very hot.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the egg.
- Continue whisking until cooled to room temperature.
- Stir in the amaretto
- When ready to serve, butter a broiler proof serving dish.
- Cut the pudding into 8 to 10 squares.
- Place squares into baking dish.
- Spoon amaretto sauce over pudding.
- Broil a few minutes until sauce bubbles.