Old Fashioned Apple Butter
- 12 to 14 apples (Jonathon or Winesap)
- 2 cups (475 ml) apple juice
- 4 cups (950 ml) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml). cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 ml). allspice
- 1 tsp (5 ml). cloves
- Wash, core and quarter, but DO NOT peel, the apples.
- Put in crock pot with apple juice.
- Cook covered 10 to 18 hours (or on high 2 to 4 hours).
- When apples are tender, run through the food processor or blender or food mill.
- (I prefer the blender....and let them cool some before doing this).
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice
- Add to apples and return to crockpot.
- Cover with lid and cook on high 6 to 8 hours.
- After 3 hours, remove the lid and allow mixture to cook down and thicken.
- Stir every 2 hours.
- Spoon into hot, sterilized jars leaving 1/2"" head space.
- Adjust caps and process in boiling water bath 10 minutes.
- Alternative to water bath now accepted by canning experts: Immediately after tightening lids and rings, invert jars on a soft cloth for 5 minutes then turn right side up to cool.
- This apple butter is made in a crock-pot!! I
found this recipe in a newspaper recipe
supplement so long ago I can't remember which
newspaper. I make 4 batches every year for gifts
and 4 batches for ourselves.