- 2 cups (475 ml) pinto beans
- 2 fresh pigs feet, cut in half
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 1 med. smoked ham hock
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) garlic powder
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cilantro
- salt and pepper, to taste
- hot cooked rice
- In large 4 quarts (3775 ml) pot add ham hock and pigs feet and cover with water.
- Bring to boil on high heat for 1/2 hour.
- Rinse beans and add to pot.
- Cover with water and cook on med high heat for 1 hour,add water as needed (do not burn).
- Add salt, pepper, garlic and tomato; turn heat to low and simmer until beans are tender(about 3 hours).
- Check to make sure there is always water to cover (remove cover and check every 20 minutes; stir).
- Add cilantro during last 15 minutes of cooking time.
- Serve over hot rice.
- Got this from my grandmother many years
ago.Everybody that has eaten this loves it.