- 12 medium apples,unpeeled and cored
- 2 cups (475 ml) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) allspice
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) ground ginger
- Core apples,cut into eighths, and place in heavy saucepan.
- Barely cover with water(about a cup).
- Cookover medium heat until apples just soften, stirring often.
- Cool slightly and force through a food mill.
- Measure pulp and return to saucepan.
- Add 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar for every cup of pulp.
- Bring to a rolling boil over moderate heat.
- Add spices.
- Continue to cook,stirring constantly,until tempature of apple mixture reaches 220 degrees (100 C.) on a candy thermoeter.
- Ladle into sterile 1/2 pint jars,seal,and process according to jar manufacturers instructions.
- Makes about 6 pints,or 81 servings of 2 tbsp (30 ml) each.
- Preparation time about 3 hours.
- AMERICAN RECIPE FROM THE EAST COAST