- L. Reinmann
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) beef stock
- 1 cup (225 ml) water
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) minced garlic
- 1 lb (.5 kg) rare roast beef, sliced thin
- 2 lg green peppers, sliced lengthwise
- 4 loaves Italian bread/rolls (4"-5" long)
- Combine beef stock, water, tomato paste, pepper, salt, bay leaf and garlic in a skillet.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Add roast beef slices and green pepper slices.
- Cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- While beef is cooking, heat bread in a 350 degree (175 C.) oven for a few minutes.
- Cut loaves of bread in half lengthwise.
- Dip each half of bread, cut side down, into the pan liquid (omit this step if you like a dry beef sandwich).
- Assemble sandwiches, dividing beef and peppers evenly between the 4 loaves of bread.