- 4 lbs (1.8 kg). Winesap apples, washed, quartered and stems removed
- 2 cups (475 ml) apple cider
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cloves
- 3 tsp (15 ml) cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 ml) allspice
- grated lemon rind, of 2 lemons
- Cook apples slowly in cider, until soft.
- Put apples and cider in blender and puree.
- For every cup of pulp add sugar and spices.
- Cook slowly and stir frequently until mixture sheets from a spoon.
- Jar and store.
- From my Pennsylvania Dutch grandmother-in law.