- 6 large yams
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) concentrated orange juice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) allspice
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) nutmeg
- large marshmallows
- Boil yams in large pot of water until fork-tender.
- Peel the yams.
- (Now you can go 2 ways, leave them whole or mash them up like potatoes).
- Blend the rest of the ingredients in a bowl (a large one if you are going to mash).
- Mashed: With the yams in sauce bowl, mash and blend well.
- Butter a square baking dish and place mashed yams into dish.
- Bake for 30 min. @ 400 degrees
- Place marshmallows to cover yams
- Bake until marshmallows are toasty (watch closely--they burn fast)and serve.
- Whole: Cut whole yams in half and place in baking dish
- Pour sauce over
- Bake for 30 min @ 400 degrees
- Serve hot
- Passed down in our family. Definitely a southern