Italian Beef Sandwich, Chicago Style
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) beef stock
- 1 cup (225 ml) water
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) minced garlic
- 1 lb (.5 kg) rare roast beef, sliced thin
- 2 lg. green peppers, sliced lengthwise
- 4 loaves/rolls Italian bread (4 to 5 inches long)
- Combine beef stock, water, tomato paste, pepper, salt, bay leaf and garlic in a skillet.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Add roast beef slices and green pepper slices.
- Cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- While beef is cooking heat bread in a 350 degree (175 C.) oven for a few minutes.
- Cut loaves of bread into half lengthwise.
- Dip each piece of bread, cut side down, into pan liquid (omit this step if you like a dry beef sandwich).
- Assemble sandwiches dividing beef and peppers evenly between the 4 loaves of bread.