Philippino Hot & Sour Soup
- Teri Brethen
- 7 cups (1650 ml) vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) Tofu, cubed
- 1 cup (225 ml) fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3/4 can bamboo shoots, halved
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh minced ginger
- 1 tsp (5 ml) of red pepper, plus or minus to taste
- 1 large chicken breast, cooked and cubed
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) cornstarch or flour
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) of water
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) of seasame oil
- Cook chicken breast in a skillet with seasame oil.
- In a large pot combine broth, tofu, mushrooms, shoots.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add ginger, red pepper, onion.
- In a small bowl mix eggs, cornstarch & COLD water.
- Add egg mixture slowly to soup.
- Reduce heat.
- Add chicken and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serves 6
- Can be used as an appetizer or main dish w/ Ginger Salad.
- This recipe is from the Philippines. My father is
a retired LTC of the United States Army and I
spent many years in foreign countries. This soup
has been a favorite for whoever I have fixed it
for. It was my Nanny's secret recipe and she
gave it to me before I came back state side. I
also have lot's of German recipes if anyone is