Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). ground meat (beef, venison and turkey all do well)
- 4 onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) dry long grain rice
- 4 15 oz (420 grm). cans tomatoes, squished w/ liquid
- 1 tsp (5 ml). oregano
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml). salt
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- water as necessary
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Brown meat in a large pan.
- Drain off some of the excess liquid.
- Add onions and cook till transparent.
- Add the seasonings and stir to coat well.
- Add tomatoes & rice. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Pour into a LARGE baking dish or a 9 x 13 inch casserole.
- Add water till it just barely comes to the surface of hash.
- Cover tightly w/ foil and bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the rice is cooked.
- Allow to stand uncovered for 5 minutes before serving.
- Goes great with cornbread, hushpuppies, tortillas, chips, or
garnished w, green onions, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
I picked this up in Tucson while keeping house for aBUNCH of cable tv installers; hence the wide servings range...up to 10 normal appetites, or 6
pole-climbers (or teenagers for that matter).