Southern Bar-B-Que Chicken
- Grilled chicken
- Garry L. Singleton
Serves/Makes:1 sauce for 10 halves
- 1 gallon (3.8 ltr) apple cider vingar
- 2 cups (475 ml) sugar
- 1/2 container crushed red pepper
- 5 tbsp (70 ml) black pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) salt, that's not too much, most will run off chicken
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) regular prepared mustard
- 1/2 chicken per person for adults
- 1 bottle of vegetable oil, least expensive is ok
- Pour 3 cups (700 ml) of vinegar out of gallon container and save.
- Add all of the ingredients (except oil) in remainder of vinegar.
- Tighten lid and shake often to mix.
- Prepare grill and let heat.
- Clean chicken, removing fat.
- Make sure chickens are cut in half, split down the middle.
- Bathe chicken with vegetable oil by pouring on and rubbing all over.
- Hold each piece up to drip off excess.
- Sprinkle both sides with salt, don't be afraid to sprinkle well, most will run off chicken when applying sauce.
- Place each half on heated grill and cook for approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes at 350 degrees (175 C.) turning once. Place chicken inside down first.
- 15 to 20 minutes before chicken is done, use a pair of large forks and tear chicken seperating meat but, not from the bone.
- Sprinkle sauce on halves, do this two to three times before removing from grill otherwise the sauce will just run off into the grill.
- This recipe is a mountain specialty passed down from our ancestors.
You may make it as hot as you like, it's up to you