- Tangy chicken in a rich orange sauce
- Susan Holden
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) of oil for frying
- 1 medium onion diced finely
- 2 garlic gloves crushed
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) or fresh ginger
- pinch of nutmeg
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) of red current jelly
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (225 ml) orange juice
- 1 orange
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter
- 1/2 tbsp (7 ml) of flour (mixed with small amount of water for paste)
- In deep frying pan, brown chicken in oil, remove and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic and ginger, saute until transluscent.
- Add butter current jelly, stirring constantly, until the butter is melted.
- Add flour paste and mix until smooth.
- Slowly add chicken stock and orange juice, stir until smooth.
- Season sauce with nutmeg.
- Put chicken back in sauce, simmer until tender, about 40 minutes.
- Just before serving add peeled orange slices.
- This is a tangy dish, when plated it looks beautiful on a bed of rice.
Sprinkle sesame seeds on top to garnish.