- Hard boiled eggs surrounded by pork sausagemeat, covered in breadcrumbs and deep fried.
- Janice Pattie
- 8 hard boiled eggs
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). pork sausagemeat
- pinch of mace
- 4 oz (112 grm). crisp breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- seasoned flour
- salt and pepper
- oil for deep frying
- Boil the eggs for ten minutes, stirring occasionally to keep the yolk in the center.
- Cool quickly under cold running water and shell the eggs, allowing them to get quite cold.
- Season the sausage meat adding the mace.
- Roll the eggs in the seasoned flour and then cover each egg with the sausage meat, making it about 1/4 inch thick, ensuring it is firmly packed.
- Dip the eggs into the beaten egg and roll each in the bread crumbs.
- Deep fry until browned evenly.
- Scotch eggs may be eaten hot though they are commonly served cold. They are an ideal snack or make a good additon to a salad.
- Scotch eggs are very popular but few people in Scotland would make them
at home as they are readily available in butcher's shops and supermarkets.